Faith In The OC

Monday, May 30, 2005

OK - Once again WAY too long. I really gotta work on writing our life down here a bit more.

We are on vacation right now. We actually came back up to Portland for just about a week. It's fun to be back and we're looking forward to seeing as many people as possible. Crazy schedule though. It's nice to get away from the hectic life style we seem to have adopted down in SoCal. I also forgot just how many trees we have here in Oregon. It's just amazing!!!

We were at a church yesterday and there was a prayer time in which someone in the congregation asked God if He would alow us to build the church. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that but as soon as it was said Colleen and I both heard God confirming His answer. He said "No, I will build my church."

God sent Jesus to start and complete, in many ways, the building of His church. A lot of times I find that I have so many ideas of how church should or should not be done and some of them might be right, maybe not but the truth of all this is that unless those ideas are straight off God's blue prints, I am building my own church.

I have to stop and wonder how many churches are built on human principles instead of God's. We all have so much culture and society ingrained in us that our vision seems to become very easily clouded. It seems almost impossible to do anything without the influence of the world around us which starts to raise a lot of questions in my mind. How then would we know for sure that what we are doing in the name of God is in fact what He is asking? An example: "I believe that having any kind of instruments in our church building other than voices is evil and therefore all involved in such activities are opporating under Satan's influence." Is this statement truth? I say no but there is someone out there that says yes. I think it's absolutly crazy and has no merit and cannot be backed up with solid scripture but the person who believes this statement would argue that there is.

So I come back to God's statement to me yesterday: "No, I will build My Church!". I take this to mean that we need to follow God and test everything against His Word and ask that He search us.

Psalms 139:23-24 ::"23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; 24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way."

Psalms 26:6 :: "6 Examine me, O LORD, and try me; Test my mind and my heart."

These are my prayers this week as I examine what it is that God has called us to and where we're at in it all. It's a challenge. It's a challenge to really take a good look and ask God to also look at our motives and what drives us to do what we do.

With that I will close. Have a great week and like I said I will atempt to add more and more often!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home